Led Carefully Down to Hell



So it has been asked how it was that I ended up being in the position I find myself in. It is not an easy question to answer. 2 Nephi 28:21 says, referring to Satan, "and others will he pacify, and lull them away into carnal security... and thus the devil cheateth their souls, and leadeth them carefully down to hell." Well, that might be the best way to describe it. It is a bit more involved and complicated, I will do my best to explain.

The transition between mission life and normal life was hard for me. I went from being a major force in the wards I served to being just another face in the crowd who people liked to ask whether or not I was dating. I went from super spiritually focused me, to being set free into a world of little structure. Although I went mostly out of expectation (of others and of myself) I was a good missionary, and I had a testimony. However, visions of continuing to spend an hour on daily scripture study quickly vanished and my life became a lot like it was before my mission. The problem with that was my perfectionism. I always felt like I was worse than I was and that it was impossible to be as good as I was as a missionary.

I went to BYU after a couple months of working and was thrown into a whole new environment. It was good for me. As I got busy with school however, my priorities shifted. School has always been very important to me. It came before everything. I also worked. When push came to shove, religion was the first thing to go. First, it was prayers and scripture study, then it was church attendance. For a long time I kept up my activity despite my lack of spirituality. As I let the good things leave my life, the bad things took their place. I will go into these "bad things" later as I feel like discussing them (I've already mentioned one).

Eventually I began a second temporary job on Sundays and I became completely inactive even when that job was done. I didn't like going to church because I felt uncomfortable. I felt like a hypocrite. Sitting through lessons made me so angry. I was bitter and critical when a Sunday School teacher would ask questions like "why is prayer good?" It just wasn't for me.

Eventually I felt more and more the need to change direction. It was never my intention to go so far. I had to choose. Either I reject the church and it's teachings to pursue the life I was leading or I needed to change my life to align with the beliefs I had accepted as a child. That fork in the road scared me, and choosing the latter is proving to be much more difficult than I imagined it would be. Not only are the addictions and sins I let into my life extremely hard to overcome, but I am starting from scratch in building my testimony.

Building a testimony as an informed intellectual is much different than building one as a child. I've learned a lot of unsettling things I never knew about the church and some of its leaders. They are not discussed. You cannot find information about them on church websites. There are very few resources if any that are provided to help answer questions. At the same time, these facts obliterate the foundation of the childhood testimony I once had. While this is very difficult to deal with, if I can come out conqueror, I feel it will lead to a testimony stronger than I've ever had before because it will be based on the whole truth and on the struggle, study, and contemplation necessary to gain it.

2 comments:

Poxydoo said...

It sounds like you and I came to the same fork in the road (although I never went on a mission).

Your last paragraph strikes me especially. You sound so much like me here. "Building a testimony as an informed intellectual is much different than building one as a child." That is so true. I also learned tons of unsettling things that are not discussed.

That was two and a half years ago for me. The difference between us is that I couldn't reconcile things. I left and had my name removed from church records. I am now married with a beautiful baby girl, and I could not be happier.

Don't worry, though, I'm not here to pressure you to abandon your efforts or convince you that you'll be happier if you just leave. But your blog intrigues me, and I hope you don't mind if I follow along. (I've always been curious where I would be if I had taken the other path.)

Anonymous said...

Wow. So far what I've read is the exact same thing I have been going through for a year but I'm at a breaking point. I just told my dad how I've been feeling. It's so difficult to go to church. I'll just go read the rest of your posts before I say much more.

Post a Comment