"The Lord's Time"



In some ways this phrase annoys me. I feel like at church we explain away reasons why something doesn't happen. "Oh you didn't get an answer? Well, it's in the Lord's time... maybe you just aren't ready for the answer... or maybe you just aren't in tune with the spirit, sometimes no answer is the answer..." Bullshit. Sorry for my strong language, but I don't believe a word of this. The scriptures say "ask and ye shall receive." The only condition that is attached is that we ask with faith. Is it real faith if we easily dismiss a lack of answer? I believe we have a right, as his children, to demand certain things of God. He is bound by certain laws. So when I am asking if God exists, hell yeah I expect an answer. It really bothered me that so many people were ready to explain away my receiving no answer for awhile using ridiculous safety nets. So may people in the church have taken away the power that God has as well as the power they have as his children by accepting lack of answers or lack of miracles because it "isn't the Lord's time" or whatever.

Okay, now that I have gotten that out of my system, here is how I do like the phrase. Recently things have been happening in the lives of my friends that coincide extremely well with my life. It is beyond coincidence. These people who have come into my life have been able to help me in significant ways (and visa versa) because of seemingly coincidental events, experiences, etc. in their individual lives. Everything is coming together so perfectly right now. Too perfectly. It is as if the stars are aligning to make it possible for me to succeed. I wish I could detail this, but it would literally take hours and hours to explain. It is rooted in spiritual things as well as these coincidences that are just too extreme to regard as simply that. It has strengthened my testimony of God that much more to recognize how he is guiding my life and how he is aware of it.

I told another friend about all my problems. She already knew them because of experiences she had had but I confirmed that what she thought was true. She already knew about my past. She just didn't know how it effects me now. Things happened to me when I was younger that have had a major effect on my life. But finally I am seeing how I can get help. It is so hard growing up in the church when you have this thing on your conscience that really isn't your fault. No one addresses these things though. And the way that sexuality is taught in church is extremely unhealthy in my opinion. At least it was very unhealthy for me. Instead of feeling like I could talk about it, I felt like I had to hide it. I am a very truthful person, however, and it always weighed me down. It then grew into this thing that has become very disruptive in my life and I am just now finding real help... or at least the possibility and hope that it is at my fingertips.

It hurts me that I wasn't able to find help in the church. But I now realize that people are imperfect and they don't really understand sometimes. I have found comfort, however, in that God is very aware of me. He KNEW that I would have certain trials and he has provided ways for me to overcome them. After this week I have a STRONG testimony of my patriarchal blessing. It blows me away. It makes me feel so extremely loved by God.

One thing that was said last Sunday in a testimony that spoke to me is that sometimes we fall. But just because we fall doesn't mean that we have to start over. We can get up, dust ourselves off, and continue from where we are. I have come to realize that there are a lot of things I am unsure about. There are a lot of things I don't understand. But now that I realize that, I can work from where I am. I don't need to start over and reject everything to begin with a clean slate. While I don't know a lot, I do believe in a lot of things. I trust that that belief will become stronger and that one day (even if it isn't in this life) I can really KNOW.

Although my questions about the church are real, they are not the reason for my leaving. I think the real reason is that I couldn't find a way to reconcile things I had done or things I struggle with with the teachings of the church. I wasn't finding the support and help I needed at church because everything always seemed so taboo. So it was easy to step away from the church when I realized I didn't really know why I believed. I am not blaming the church... but I do feel this will change in the future. People won't have to grow up like I did because it is taboo to talk about things that real people actually struggle with. I have a LOOONG way to go, and it is going to be difficult, but I finally feel it is possible. I feel positive.

I know there are very few that read this, but I do plan on talking about my personal struggles and my past. I hope that is some small way I can help someone so that they don't have to go through what I have. I am not proclaiming that the church is true and everything is dandy again. I am simply wanting people to know that I am starting to believe in things again... and to hope. This blog has been kind of an experiment... so thanks for sticking with me.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

YAY! Glad to hear things are going better!! Sounds like you are a lot more positive in this post then any of the post ever! Remember this feeling when you are feeling down! It will lift you up! YAHOO for you!

Anonymous said...

Whatever works for you man. If you're happier staying, then stay. It sounds like this is working so stay with it.

Attempting to Fly said...

First, I would like to say that I am glad that you are working things out in your life. I'm not sure what you struggle with(even though you give enough hints that I could probably guess), but everyone struggles and coming through the bad times, into the, should I say "better" times is always a relief.
On a second note, I have a question and some comments about something you wrote.
"The scriptures say "ask and ye shall receive." The only condition that is attached is that we ask with faith. Is it real faith if we easily dismiss a lack of answer? I believe we have a right, as his children, to demand certain things of God."
Really? I mean really? YOU are going to DEMAND something from the awesome creator of the universe? Don't get me wrong. We have probably ALL asked God if He is really there at sometime or another. Pretty sure that I asked Him for a sign too at some point. But that doesn't mean I haven't learned from this experience. Yes, "the Lord's time" is Christianese and over-used, but God can pretty much choose to answer you when and where He wants to, right?
By the way, the verse that you quoted DID have to do with seeking and finding God, but wouldn't you say that it really is His choice of how MUCH seeking you will need to do before finding the answer? You are right though, we should not easily dismiss a lack of an answer. I mean, it sounds like you are not giving up on finding the answer, even though you might be frustrated with the wait time. And in that, I wish you well and God bless you!

taryn said...

"Attempting to Fly"...true. but when you've been doing everything you can and you're still not getting an answer...for months and months, it's difficult, darn difficult to not feel a little angry. perhaps you haven't been to that place. if you haven't you probably wouldn't understand.

S. Mormon. as far as i can tell, this is the latest post. it's been almost 3 months...i JUST found your blog and want to join you on your journey. i'm struggling too. it's a great relief to know that there may be someone out there who might understand. if for no other reason than i'm not alone in my confusion. what i'm saying is please don't give up on this.

red said...

I'm in a similar position, but I don't trust my feelings. I find no stronger feeling of happiness than when I'm listening to my favorite band. I am seriously considering making a blog to share my individual story. I'll post it here if I decide to make it happen. The most rewarding and comforting thing I've found is talking openly about the struggle. I love how people can be so real. Being so honest and willing to really test the truth is amazing to me.

sarah said...

The people at church are always telling you the "correct" response for your prayers. They say you can ask God, but then you are only allowed to have the result they want. It's not OK to say, "I prayed about the Book of Mormon after I read it and I felt nothing, or I felt it was false." You are only allowed to say what they want to hear. Plus, can we really trust our feelings when we pray after we have been told what we will feel?

sarah said...

I just wanted to say that I really like your blog, but it is a bit hard to read/see the text. Of course you can do whatever you want, but it would help me if you could experiment a little with the text to make it easier to see.

Post a Comment