Church



I didn't go to church on Sunday. Instead, I stayed up talking to a friend about some of my own issues into the early hours of the morning which I felt was more beneficial than church would be. Don't get me wrong- I know that attending church is important and that it is necessary if I am ever to recover. I do feel, however,  that church is pretty impersonal. I'm not saying all wards are, but many student wards seem to be. People are always moving in and out of the ward, church is held in classrooms, and most members are students who spend lots of their time in a structured environment. I think it all seems to make church a lot like school. There is a teacher and a lesson.

I think church is meant to be more informal. Wards and quorums and other groups in the church are supposed to be places of support. Why is everyone so afraid to talk about what they struggle with? Why do we avoid difficult questions? Don't tell me that the answer to my problem of not feeling like praying is to "pray until [I] feel like praying" because whether a prophet said it or not, it doesn't make sense to me- nor does it work. I know, I know- how DARE I challenge a quote from a prophet. My point is, we often don't really talk about things that strengthen my faith or help my understanding because no one wants to veer too far from the lesson.

We also like to tip-toe around difficult topics. We talk hypothetically because no one wants to be judged if they actually have a problem or weakness. There is this huge fear of bringing some issues into the open because it is considered taboo to do so. The result is that we don't really get needed support from a community of men and women who share our beliefs. We just go on pretending "all is well."

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree...student wards are the worst! and I can't handle all the immaturity. I'm about 3 years older then every one in my student ward that i on very rare occasions attend (yes I did take some time off school) and whenI hear them talking sometimes its all I can do to hold back an eye roll...

Jackie M. said...

I can't say that I've ever attended a student ward, but still as a student struggling with issues of my own, I feel that even regular wards still tip-toe around very serious discussions. Very rarely do members bring up real issues that can be learned from. Everyone tries to stick to basics. It seems that we all go in circles, just teaching the same things, over and over, and repeating the same answers, over and over.

Post a Comment